Wednesday, December 2, 2009

the airport(s)

i am at gate 173 in the toronto terminal waiting for my parents to show up. in front of me is AIR ETIHAD airlines boarding for ABU DHABI...
looking at this mountain of people piling onto this tiny aircraft reminded me earlier today when my trip started with a bit of a hitch.

i was officially on time in montreal for my santiago via toronto flight. in line there were... no kidding... four different large families of muslims flying from montreal to some where... each family had 10 to 15 members traveling together. what does that mean? well, when you're "traveling together" you have to check in all at once. it basically jammed a huge enshallah wedge in the entire check-in counter for a good forty five minutes... oh yeah, they also had the maximum capacity of luggage for each of them... you do the math.
the momentarily irritating yet funny part of it was there were these kids - young adults dressed all greasy slickass rich, especially the boys. they were wearing these white leather shiny rhinestone studded belts with pointy leather shoes and reeked of some crazy ass colon that i would never buy. patience, patience... patience !WELL! because of all that muslim family fiasco i was almost late. but that wasn't the end of it. i finally reached the counter and my two pieces of luggage were !TOO! heavy... even too heavy for the extra weight charge. it would have been illegal if they boarded my bags at their original weight. the lady at the counter tells me to run and buy another bag and just pay the extra "HURRY UP YOURE GOING TO MISS YOUR FLIGHT!!!"
!SO!
i couldn't find the fucking 20 dollar luggage she told me about so i had to rush to a place where they wrap lose luggage with a lot of plastic and charge you unreasonable amounts so that i could make my third bag. the third bag/box was mostly my gear, weighing at a boarder line weight capacity of 32 kilos. rushing through all of this and almost slamming into about dozen people with my 250 pound cart, i got on my knees and scrambled on the floor opening the body of my bags to get everything seperated. as i continued to sweat profusely, taking things out quickly that i couldn't even see if the guys were stealing my shit or wrapping it up.
i finally reached the counter where the lovely counter attendant had my boarding pass ready.
i then ran like a motherfucker to my gate and saw my flight was delayed... fuck me.

(they are now boarding onto the ETIHAD... i daydream about going to the HAJ with my girlfriend one day to experience everything that is MECCA. i would convert just to have the chance to experience the awe striking images and experiences of that prigrimage.)

my parent's should be boarding soon where we will board and i will attempt to shoot my father on the plane so that i can get some transitional footage for my documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment